[News] Governments Fed Up with Dominant Software Vendors

Big management software gets poor grades in Gartner survey

,----[ Quote ]
| Management software heavyweights BMC, CA, HP and IBM are barely
| making the grade with their customers, earning C and D averages
| and driving IT buyers to look elsewhere for their operations
| management needs, according to a recent Gartner poll.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/networking/features/index.cfm?featureid=3356&pagtype=all

This smashes that myth that big vendors lead to happiness and open source
leads to headaches, e.g.:

CIOs struggle with open source governance

,----[ Quote ]
| Another major objective was to look at both the procurement and legal
| issues of acquiring open source technology because, in effect, the
| department wasn't procuring anything. "We were just getting free
| software off the Internet, and that raises some concerns," he said.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/05/08/223676/cios-struggle-with-open-source-governance.htm

These misconceptions need to be refuted.

Related:

Governments slammed for anti-competitive software tendering practices

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading Australian open source advocate has called for an end for to
| tender lock-outs of competitors to Microsoft, claiming the practice
| is costing Australian taxpayers tens of millions of dollars each
| year.

Japanese Government to Embrace Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----