Re: [News] PlayStation 3 Could Win Owing to Blu-Ray, XBox360 Alienates Foreigners

Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:
> Tim Smith wrote:

>> Blu-ray uses the same protection system, and it has been cracked.

Actually it's a circumvention, not a "crack", since the encryption
technology itself has not been broken, and neither has ROM-Mark nor BD+,
which are not the same thing as AACS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM-Mark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD%2B#BD.2B

> Don't worry about copy protection side that's a different battle and will no
> doubt rage until the Sun goes out or Rocky 47, which ever comes first.

I'm not worried, since I have no intention of ever pirating any software
(of any kind), I'll just be happy to *use* my legally purchased software
without draconian restrictions (i.e. using Linux, or ripped to an iPod).

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 18:23:28 up 21 days, 15:55,  3 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.42, 0.26