Re: New Skype 4.1 Alpha released for linux.

  • Subject: Re: New Skype 4.1 Alpha released for linux.
  • From: NoStop <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 08:16:35 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Larry Qualig wrote:

> On May 7, 10:37 am, Kier <val...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > They have? Perhaps you ought to let Nero know this because they seem
>> > to think otherwise.
>>
>> > Their Linux product "NeroLinux" appears to be a stripped down version
>> > of Nero Burning ROM that's available for Windows. Looking at it's
>> > features I don't see anything that k3b doesn't already do.
>>
>> >    http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLINUX_What_is_NeroLINUX.html
>>
>> > Buy you think this stripped down product has feature parity with their
>> > Win32 product which ships with the following apps:
>>
>> > (The Linux offering is about 1/3rd of the way down the list - "Nero
>> > Burning ROM 7" except that all of the advanced features are missing in
>> > the Linux version.)
>>
>> <snip list>
>>
>> That's probably not a bad thing, leaving out all that stuff. Better just
>> to concentrate on providing a solid burning app. Though they'll have to
>> go some way to beat K3b at its own game.
>

> I'm really skeptical as to how many people would buy a Linux version
> of the Nero software. I have the Windows version of Nero which came
> with my DVD burner and is actually pretty nice. The CD/DVD burning
> part is no big deal but the other tools like DVD authoring, mpeg4 re-
> encoding, batch audio encoding and etc is what makes the package
> useful.
>
> Anyone who runs Linux already has k3b or access to it not to mention
> various other CD/DVD burning software. Since NeroLinux appears to
> offer nothing more than just basic CD/DVD burning I have a difficult
> time seeing any Linux user bothering to purchase it. Perhaps if it
> included the other integrated utilities it would be appealing to some
> users but in its current form I don't see any scenario why someone
> would buy it.

Obviously they're counting on the Wintards who just installed Linux to fuel
their bottom line. With so many Windoze users looking at alternatives to
Fista, and still looking at Linux through Windoze glasses, they must figure
they have a customer base. Witness all the new Linux users looking for
anti-virus software or wondering how to defrag their ext3 partitions and
you'll see my point.

Cheers.

--
The "Wow" starts now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc&eurl=

"No sane person wants Vista, so Microsoft is making sure they have no
choice."
http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html