Re: [News] [Linux] Dell's Linux PCs Will Indeed Be Cheaper Than Windows PCs

__/ [ AB ] on Monday 07 May 2007 10:28 \__

> On 2007-05-06, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>> A step up for Microsoft rival
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Dell plans to start offering Ubuntu as an option on selected consumer
>>| PCs in the coming weeks, said Jeremy Bolen, a Dell spokesman. Ubuntu
>>| is free, and machines pre-installed with it will be less expensive than
>>| PCs of the same configuration that come with Windows, Bolen said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/314124_dellfolo03.html
>
> Gosh! I thought Bilge/Analus Erectus said the machines had to be *more*
> expensive because Dell would have to run 2 different lines or start and
> stop production on a single line. Not to mention 2 different
> inventories of drives, 2 different inventories of hardware (cheapie
> crap that all runs in software for Windows, stuff that does its own
> work for linux), and a lot of other costly overhead.
>
> I guess they forgot to consult him on this.
>
>> Hopefully there will not be some coupon gotcha.

Don't forget third-party software that's unwanted. Let's see if there's a
coupon gotcha. If not, then it's good news indeed. On the left you have a
bloated MEII with lots of software you'll spend hours removing (Registry
will carry leftover baggage) and on the right you have a machine with a lot
more software such as OpenOffice installed. No garbage, just goodness. It's
also cheaper, more flashy (Beryl/XGL), more stable, and more modern. I
wonder if they'll deliver it with the brown/orange theme or choose something
which more people perceive as 'enterprise level', whatever that is.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Have you hugged your penguin today?
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S