Re: [News] [Linux] Dell's Linux PCs Will Indeed Be Cheaper Than Windows PCs

__/ [ John Locke ] on Monday 07 May 2007 03:24 \__

> On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:22:19 -0700, John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>John Locke wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting. I wonder what Microsoft's reaction will be. They can't be
>>> too happy about it. A nice, clean system for less money then the same
>>> machine with Windows. We shall see how this plays out.

John L, I suspect (although it's just a guess at this point) that secret
coupons will play a role. Don't forget about the 'secret shelf' marketing
trick. No strings attached? Maybe. But as Bernard Golden said, the biggest
gain to Linux as a whole is the endorsement which will lead companies to
support Linux better (including drivers, not just adoption).

>>The thing that worries me is media.
>>
>>What happens the first time an Ubuntu user goes to Yahoo! and tries to
>>watch the streaming video and gets told "no dice for non-Windows
>>browsers/media players"?
> Well currently the streaming video from Yahoo is Adobe Flash 9 which
> works OK using Linux and Firefox. Atom films allows some of its videos
> to be downloaded in DivX/MP3 compression.
>
> Hopefully that won't change. As for premium movies, you'll probably
> need a DRM controlled client which may not install under Linux.

There appear to be many DRM-free services (with more and more showing up all
the time, using this as a marketing point, as in "added value"), so for just
about any film/tune/document there will probably always be a Linux route.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    United States: #1 in spam export