Re: [News] [Linux] OLPC Works Great with Linux While Windows Doesn't Support Enough Hardware

> One laptop per child and open source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | For once Microsoft is getting the reverse Linux laptop experience:
> | little support and little documentation for the hardware. The result
> | will be a platform that doesn?t include any of the really novel
> | features that we're building in, bad power management, no systems
> | management via the firmware and apps that will randomly crash because
> | they can't fix the virtual memory problem in the same way we're
> | approaching it. A second class citizen, to be sure.
> `----
>
> http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=285

Heh, I had to chuckle when I read that domain name.  For those that
don't get the reference, it refers to a really old debugging trick.
You pre-initialize your unallocated RAM with the hex value 0xdeadbeef.
Then if your software crashes from an uninitialized pointer or some
such, that value jumps out at you in the crash dump.

Of course with modern debuggers, the technique is not used as much
anymore.

Later,

Thad