Re: [News] Microsoft Silverlight promises to modernize the Web

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Silverlight promises to modernize the Web
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 05:03:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 04 May 2007 15:59 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
> <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 4 May 2007 14:55:52 +0100
> <8kqrg4-rg7.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, amicus_curious
>>><ACDC@xxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Thu, 3 May 2007 15:05:59 -0400

>>> It has since been repaired, but how do we know they won't
>>> break it again?
>>>
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=15850
>>>
>>> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2004-May/035632.html
>>>
>>> http://www.rmschneider.com/writing/xp_and_samba.html
>>>
>>> It is not clear that Microsoft deliberately intended to
>>> break Samba, but one does have to wonder.
>>
>> Yes it is... Roy posted some material some time ago where Microsoft
>> employees were told to "f*ck with samba".
>
> It ain't done until Samba won't run.  Can't be too careful
> with Al Qaeda running amount, it might lead to dancing.
> Oh, wait, wrong newsgroup.
>
> (Side issue:
> http://slashdot.org/articles/05/08/02/2219208.shtml
> suggests that the "DOS ain't done till Lotus won't run" is
> a bit of a myth, though it's hard for me to say which way
> -- and DOS stands for "Dumb, Ossified, and Stupid" anyway
> by now, though FreeDOS at least allows it to be dumb,
> ossified, stupid, and freely available with source code.)
>
> Once a monopolist...
>

>>> That is the danger of using unstandardized proprietary
>>> protocols.  To be sure, Microsoft also has to balance
>>> their breakage with their own support; if they update the
>>> protocol to break Samba, they might break their own tools
>>> as well.
>>>

>> That's why it's not been all that easy for them to break samba.  Had
>> they been really cute and designed their OS in a modular way, then they
>> could quite possibly have just forced upgrades on people in the same way
>> as they do with their applications, however, they have not been able to
>> do so.  Possibly they also prefer to encourage people to replace a whole
>> os?
>>

> Every 3 years.

Here's the missing reference, FWIW:

FLOSS Weekly 14: Jeremy Allison of Samba

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.twit.tv/floww14

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men
  5:00am  up 6 days 13:22,  5 users,  load average: 1.27, 0.94, 0.84