Re: [News] [SOT] [Trojan] Don't reactivate your copy of Windows just yet.

  • Subject: Re: [News] [SOT] [Trojan] Don't reactivate your copy of Windows just yet.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 03:30:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Saturday 05 May 2007 02:35 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John Locke
> <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 04 May 2007 18:24:47 -0700
> <2nmn33h6cin2d77crcfmrg6900ee21b3j5@xxxxxxx>:
>> On Fri, 4 May 2007 17:55:50 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine
>> <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>It might be infected.
>>>
>>>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/2840
>>>
>>>http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/weblog/2007/05/ms_needs_your_credit_card_deta.html
>>>
>>>    Recently we came across an interesting Trojan sample,
>>>    detected by Symantec as Trojan.Kardphisher. The Trojan
>>>    is not very technical - it's really just another
>>>    classic social-engineering attack. What makes it
>>>    interesting is that the author has obviously taken
>>>    great pains to make it appear legitimate.
>>>
>> It really does look valid. Of course, Microsoft would
>> never ask you for your credit card details..oh oh...
>> you don't suppose..
>>
>> Just kidding. Even Microsoft wouldn't be that sneaky.
>> What's really sad is that a lot of trusting people will
>> probably fall for the ploy.
>>
>> I guess the best advice is for people running Microsoft is
>> to keep their anti-virus programs up-to-date.
>>

> Indeed....then hope they catch stuff like this.

I suppose that the new validation policy will therefore increase the risk to
the user.

Microsoft's New Validation Policy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mypcpros.com/computer-blog/2007/5/1/microsofts-new-validation-policy.html

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, Open Source