Re: [News] [Linux] Is ATI Getting Open Source Linux Drivers?

> An Outcry For Improved ATI Linux Drivers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | At a glance, I had the following problems with the fglrx
> | driver:
> |
> | - Cards run hotter and noisier than windows.
> | - OpenGL performance is slow.
> | - Some overlay modes are missing from X Video implementation.
> | - X-Video implementation is not stable.
> | - Some popular extensions, required functionality is missing.
> | - Distribution specific packaging issues.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=683&num=1

I just recently came across this very article while researching a
problem for a friend.  He just converted to Ubuntu from Windows XP.
The install went smoothly.  All the hardware on his HP system was
detected with no trouble, and he is very happy with how it is running,
with one exception: his framerates for World of Warcraft are much
lower running on Wine/Ubuntu then he had with XP.  He has another
friend that switched from XP to Ubuntu and his WoW framerates
actually increased with the only major difference being the nVidia
video card this other fellow was using.  The above article just
confirms what I had already suspected; the Linux ATI drivers just
don't measure up on newer cards.

This problem seems to extend beyond Linux actually.  The OpenGL drivers
for XP and Vista suffer from similar problems since they are all built
on the same aging code base.  Fortunately, ATI is promising all new
completely redesigned drivers later this year which they promise will
address the problem.

My friend is otherwise very happy with his Ubuntu system.  I suggested
installing a dual boot until the new drivers come out, but he really
resisted the idea.  It sounds like he would rather live with the
slower frame rates than go back to Windows.

Later,

Thad