[News] [OSS] ODF Alliance UK Action Group Disspells the Myths

ODF/OOXML technical white paper

,----[ Quote ]
| We are of the view that the format appears to be designed by Microsoft
| for Microsoft products, and to inter-operate with the Microsoft
| environment. Little thought appears to have been exercised
| regarding interoperability with non-Microsoft environments or
| compliance with established vendor-neutral standards.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/odf_ooxml_technical_white_paper

Related:

Microsoft:

 "For example, we should take the lead in establishing a common approach
 to UI and to interoperability (of which OLE is only a part). Our efforts
 to date are focussed too much on our own apps, and only incidentally on
 the rest of the industry. We want to own these standards, so we should
 not participate in standards groups. Rather, we should call 'to me' to
 the industry and set a standard that works now and is for everyone's
 benefit. We are large enough that this can work."

http://www.os2site.com/sw/info/comes/px09509.zip