Re: [News] Dell now teasing us regarding Ubuntu on select desktops

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 03 May 2007 01:34 \__

> Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:
>
>> Tescos: So here on our Tesco shelf, Vista on the left is old Windows
>> you've seen it before called XP, it doesn't come with much software, you
>> have to pay a fortune for extras and there is a fair chance any software
>> you load will not work at all. And here on the right we have a new system
>> called Linux, loads of software comes already onboard.
>>
>> Mrs Jones: How much does a word processor for it cost?
>>
>> Tescos: Nothing.
>>
>> Mrs Jones: Can I do my online Tescos shopping on it?
>>
>> Tescos: Yes.
>>
>> Mrs Jones: Can I view pictures of the grand children on it?
>>
>> Tescos: I'm sorry, but yes.
>>
>> Mrs Jones: Does it come with software development tools so that I can
>> write the code for a mathematical model of transient forces leading me to
>> suggestions of the orrigin of matter and from there to the beginnings of
>> life?
>>
>> Tescos: Yes, every little helps.
>
> I do an Internet order for groceries every Friday from Tesco, and I was
> just thinking how cool it would be to get all the latest distro releases
> and updates delivered on discs ... along with the food order.
>
> I've said this before, but I really can foresee a day when Linux PC's
> (or Mac-Mini-like Linux boxes) are offered for sale at Tesco, along with
> the 15 quit multi-region DVD players.

Shelf life could be an issue (just months), so how about something like an
icecream machine that 'cooks' the latest CD? I think something similar
already exists. There's also 'Ubuntu on tap' (network installation) in some
places.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "I feed my 3 penguins with electricity and love"
roy      pts/0        cg001a.halls.man Wed May  2 14:12   still logged in