[News] [Rival] PC Magazine and Others Criticize Windows, Vista

Sony Vaio - Great Machine, Until Windows Vista Hit the Scene

,----[ Quote ]
| Too bad Microsoft is now forcing that damnable Vista on everyone...
| I have recently retired all of our PCs and switched to Macs.
`----

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/231407/sony_vaio_great_machine_until_windows.html
http://tinyurl.com/29z8qt

Windows' Words of Doom

,----[ Quote ]
| When using Microsoft Windows, there are three words I dread to
| hear: Preparing To Copy.
`----

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2123848,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000584

It is appalling that the following long article mentions nothing about
fileystsems and operating systems that simply do not require offline
defragmentation, but handle the problem 'on the fly' or never introduce it
at all.

Keep Vista Running at Top Speed

,----[ Quote ]
| All operating systems must deal with data fragmentation in one
| way or another. In Windows XP, Microsoft provided the Disk
| Defragmenter utility in its System Tools folder. This application
| could be used to analyze and clean up a badly fragmented disk. But
| because Disk Defragmenter didn't run automatically, it typically
| isn't run by users until system performance has become unbearably
| slow.
`----

http://www.crn.com/white-box/199202084

The Microsoft apologists would argue that it's not required and does not
affect speed. This technical writer begs to differ.