[News] [Linux] Linux Goes Beyond x86, Attracts Developers

Power Architecture, Part 2: Drawing In Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| While IBM dominates HPC, and Freescale owns much of the embedded market,
| the middle desktop is missing from the Power Architecture landscape. Power
| continues to thrive without the desktop space, but the desktop does, in
| fact, unify an ecosystem and provide a consumer face.
|
| [...]
|
| The Consortium
| provides access to high-performance Linux OS systems with an
| immediate focus on the Cell Broadband Engine found in the IBM
| and Mercury Cell products, and the Cell processor found in the
| Sony PlayStation 3.

Also yesterday (Cell in action):

Sony says public to test Home for PS3 this summer

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony will open its Home to guests this summer, the consumer electronics
| giant has said. No, we're not talking some tedious Hello-esque
| celebrity fawn-a-thon, but the Second Life-style alternative world
| for the PS3.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/05/02/sony_ps3_home_open_beta/

Nintendo Wii: Competing Hard

,----[ Quote ]
| Nintendo blew the lid off financial expectations, with earnings up 77
| percent for the fiscal year. Group net profits clocked in $1.47
| billion, rising dramatically over last year's $829 million,
| and sales soared 90 percent to $8.13 billion, up from $4.3
| billion the year prior.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/17828/Nintendo-Wii-Competing-Hard

Related:

IBM's Power Architecture Attracting More Linux Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM makes less revenue on servers sold with Linux, compared to
| those that ship with one if its commercial operating systems --
| such as AIX or OS 400 -- but that's offset by the company's
| growing Linux support practice. Linux compatibility also makes
| the company's servers accessible to a wider variety of users,
| such as educational institutions on limited budgets. "We
| benefit from the wider ecosystem that Linux is a part of,"
| says Jollans.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061202/tc_cmp/196601027

IBM Achieves Major "Linux on POWER" Milestone

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of tested, native applications available for the Linux on
| POWER platform has grown more than 200 percent in the last two years,
| marking it as a fast-developing new IT ecosystem.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/061201/0190250.html

Study: Developers Favor Linux

,----[ Quote ]