Re: [News] Governments Become More Interested in (Real & Free) Standards

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 04:21 \__

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070430034335550

> I strongly believe that Microsoft is going to lose this battle. And I
> don't mean "hope", I really do mean "believe". Too many people are aware
> that, to Microsoft, a "standard" is just a freedom circumvention device.

Microsoft does not distinguish between a protocol -- however closed and/or
patent-encumbered -- and a standard.

See:

Please Microsoft, Stop Holding .NET Back!

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet Microsoft just doesn't realize that if they truly want .NET to
| succeed, they'll have to bite the bullet and stop pretending that only
| officially supporting Windows won't make users leave
| Linux/Mac/BSD/Whatever and buy licenses for Windows instead.
|
| [...]
|
| The bottom line is, Microsoft doesn't understand the definition of the word
| "standard." While that's fine (for them) when they're ignoring
| standards set by others, it?s not OK if they want standards they define to
| be adopted unanimously by the rest of the computer industry as well. That's
| just not what a "standard" is. In order for something to be a standard, it
| has to just work... Everywhere. Yes, Linux too. We want to be able to just
| drag and drop an application compiled on Windows (no, not a console
| application, a real application) to Linux, OS X, BSD, or Solaris and just
| have it work.
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/please-microsoft-stop-holding-net-back/

The Freeness of Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| You're just not free with proprietary software. (Please forgive
| the conflation of software and formats. There has been some
| movement in the direction of open formats, but I think
| proprietary software makers are always going to try to lock
| you in on the data.)
|
| (And I'm not really bitter about VB. Microsoft did me a favor
| there by helping to highlight a problem with non-free software,
| and hopefully I'll soon become as productive in Java or some
| other free language.)
`----

http://www.movingtofreedom.org/2007/04/25/the-freeness-of-free-software/

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
| "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.

"Microsoft: For example, we should take the lead in establishing a common
approach to UI and to interoperability (of which OLE is only a part). Our
efforts to date are focussed too much on our own apps, and only incidentally
on the rest of the industry. We want to own these standards, so we should
not participate in standards groups. Rather, we should call 'to me' to the
industry and set a standard that works now and is for everyone's
benefit. We are large enough that this can work."

http://www.os2site.com/sw/info/comes/px09509.zip

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S