Re: [News] Another Interview with the Leader of the Debian Project

  • Subject: Re: [News] Another Interview with the Leader of the Debian Project
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 00:41:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> All roads lead to Debian
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | If most of the Linux distributions derive from either Slackware or
>> | Debian, why not just go to the source? Slackware looks way too hard to
>> | figure out, but Debian, which just released version 4.0, offers a
>> | net-install ISO -- and I've always wanted to install a distro over
>> | the Internet -- so I burned the CD this morning and am currently
>> | installing a Debian system over the Internet.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/04/all_roads_lead_to_debian.html
>
> I too can recomend Debian via the web. But unlike the writer I would
> recomend not getting greedy with packages at install time.

Yes I'd also recommend *starting* with a minimal install. *Adding*
packages later, *if* and when you need them, is a much better policy.
Adding what appears to be just one package, can often pull in a lot of
dependencies, which is fine *if* you really need it, but if you don't
you just end up with too much bloat, which may lead to unnecessary
security and stability issues (however minimal), in addition to being a
waste of disk space, and additional work (and bandwidth) maintaining the
software and updates.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 00:40:25 up 13 days, 22:12,  4 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.34, 0.39