[News] Novell's Linux and Microsoft's Hidden Agenda

Inside the Microsoft-Novell deal

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft is emerging as the common denominator in multiple
| strategies for identity management, which is not completely altruistic
| and could have strategic benefits by putting it in a stronger position
| at the hub of identity management across several providers' product
| lines," Goulde says.
|
| [...]
|
| Interestingly, in the case of the Sun deal, the software giant was
| also happy to fork out significant amounts of money to seal the
| pact. Microsoft paid Sun $700m upfront to resolve anti-trust
| issues, a further $900m to lay various patent matters to rest and
| $350m in royalties. Sun also agreed to pay Microsoft royalties on
| an ongoing basis for including some of its technology in its servers.
|
| All of this means, ironically, that Microsoft has now paid out
| large sums to help out two competitors at times in their lives
| when an injection of cash certainly hasn't gone amiss.
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/features/0,1000002000,39286896,00.htm?r=1

Related:

9.6 Years: On Beyond Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| March 24th, 2007 was my final day working at Novell. Leaving will be
| anything but easy.
`----

http://reverendted.wordpress.com/2007/04/26/96-years-on-beyond-novell/

Is Novell Poised for a Turnaround? It Doesn't Look Like It

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070427/33755_id.html?.v=1