[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World

How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to
| remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That
| is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom
| solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor.
|
| It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft
| with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers
| support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not
| only an OS but also extensive middleware and application layer
| pieces. Arguably the price for such integration is lack of
| flexibility and loss of control.
`----

http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/broadband/199600344;jsessionid=N1IAB5VKZRD0QQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN
http://tinyurl.com/2c3z7z

Microsoft taps mobiles for developing world

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is facing fierce competition from Linux, however, most
| notably the One Laptop per Child project to ship low cost
| notebooks to schools in developing nations.
|
| Linux vendor Red Hat unveiled a Global Desktop last week
| targeting computers at small and medium sized businesses as
| well as governments in third world nations.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189936/microsoft-taps-mobile-tech

Related:

70 percent of smartphones use Symbian

,----[ Quote ]
| At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian.
|
| Linux accounts for 16.9 percent of the smartphone market and only
| 4.6 percent uses Microsoft Windows Mobile.
`----

http://www.dvhardware.net/article17134.html

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/