[News] [Linux] The Future of Ultra-mobile PCs is GNU/Linux, Owing to Windows Bloat

Microsoft To Upgrade UMPC Specification

,----[ Quote ]
| I looks as if as Redmond is concerned, UMPC's issues are a hardware
| matter that will solve itself as CPUs from Intel and VIA Technologies
| become more power-efficient. Ars Technica notes, almost as an aside,
| that "Linux is going to play an increasing role on these kinds of
| machines." The fact is that, if Microsoft is serious about forcing
| its operating systems as-is on its ultramobile spec, Linux will be
| end up playing a dominant role on these kind of machines.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/05/microsoft_to_up.html

Original here:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070518-origami-2-0-to-be-thinner-smaller-and-maybe-less-expesnive.html

Related:

UMPCs Take Different Tacks

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, the PepperPad represents a solid, Linux-based portable platform
| especially for applications that will require text input. For this, it does
| much better than most other UMPCs I've had my hands on.
`----

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=15654

Intel praised for backing mobile Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Gartner, the chip giant's switch to Linux for mobile
| internet devices moves the personal device argument away from
| Windows and platform discussions towards web technology.
`----

http://www.pcmag.co.uk/vnunet/news/2188454/intel-wins-praise-backing

Intel ditches Vista for its mid-range UMPCs

,----[ Quote ]
| As if it wasn't hard enough for Microsoft, and hardware manufacturers
| to convince consumers that we need another portable device, the choice
| has now become a bit harder because Intel is going to choose to sell
| its mid-range machines with Linux, instead of Windows Vista.
`----

http://forevergeek.com/news/intel_ditches_vista_for_its_mid-range_umpcs.php

PepperPad pleases pair of publishers

,----[ Quote ]