Re: The secret Iraq documents my 8-year-old found

  • Subject: Re: The secret Iraq documents my 8-year-old found
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 06:15:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ AB ] on Saturday 19 May 2007 00:11 \__

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/05/18/cpa_documents/?source=whitelist

>> I don't know how Openoffice handles this---I just know that whenever I
>> open a .doc file in OpenOffice and then save it, its size shinks by a
>> factor of 4.  No change in the document I can see.
>
> It will do the same if you save it as ,rtf, close out (Bad)Word, open
> the .rtf again with (Dirty)Word and save it as .doc. Though the result
> will still be larger than the same file saved by OOo.
>
> All of the undo crap is there so MS can spy on users if they're dumb
> enough to send the crash reports to MICROS~1. As a side bonus anything
> gleaned can be used for blackmail or to undercut bids or other things
> done during contract negotiations.

Apologists would argues that it's accidental, that it's nothing but a
conspiracy theory, but we all know (or should know by now) that Microsoft is
holding secret meetings with the bodies mentioned by [H]omer. The press does
not cover these, but some blogs do. Here's Microsoft flirting with the RIAA:

Music industry meeting could change the Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice present for Microsoft's entertainment
| business, told me today that the meeting was set up as part of the
| deal struck between Microsoft and music business honchos, who are
| always wary of piracy... The meeting was supposed to take place "some
| time after the holidays," he said. It also talks about the future
| of the zune.
`----

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/01/music_industry_meeting_could_change_the_zune.html

Later on (or just around this time), a Zune/iPod 'tax' was introduced.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
Swap:  1036184k total,   818508k used,   217676k free,    37620k cached