Re: [News] [Linux] openSUSE 10.3 Alpha4 is Out, coLinux Introduced

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 18 May 2007 21:22 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 17 May 2007 04:52:48 +0100
> <1430857.SumXXR3Mgd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> [opensuse-announce] openSUSE 10.3 Alpha4 released
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I'm glad to announce the forth public alpha release of openSUSE 10.3.
>> `----
>>
>> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-announce/2007-05/msg00003.html
>>
>> Introduction to coLinux: Linux on Windows, Literally
>
> Old news; coLinux has been around for awhile.  Haven't heard
> anything either way on how well it works on Vista, though.

True. By "introduced" I didn't mean "released". I just thought it was a good
primer to those who have not heard of it and want to gain Linux skills in a
Windows environment.

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1254850,00.html

>> Might as well virtualise, or take the advantages of Linux stability (Vista
>> seems like a step back compared to XP in that respect).
>
> Maybe, but the problem is that most people will have
> Vista or XP on their 'puters.  :-/  Unless the vendor
> was intelligent enough to set up a dual-partition, or
> the user is willing to play "backup, reinstall, restore",
> one's options are a little limited.  (The possibility of
> multiple disks in a non-RAID setup will work to some extent,
> if one tweaks Microsoft's boot manager to boot Linux.)
>
> Also, I'm not entirely certain that emulators such as
> VmWare are sufficiently good to allow for OpenGL to display
> DirectX-based software such as Aero.

My guess is that more and more people will start dual-booting due to Vista
frustrations. Taking XP away from their hands might actually be a big
mistake from Microsoft's POV because they refuse to give people what they
want and crave. This leads to a gentle rebellion and exploration.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Programmer: a device to convert coffee beans into code (Paul Erdos slant)
roy      pts/3                         Wed May 16 14:23   still logged in