Re: [News] [Rival] With New Act, Pirating Windows Could Take Americans to Jail

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 17 May 2007 04:19:28 +0100
<1318220.mmF74FW0SU@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Pirating Microsoft Windows will get you a life sentence
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Details of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' Intellectual
> | Property Protection Act of 2007, will criminalise "attempting"
> | to infringe copyright.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39642

It is already a criminal action to violate copyright with
a loss of $1000 or more.  (How that's calculated, the DMCA
does not appear to stipulate.)

> Related:
>
> Ballmer hints at tougher Vista antipiracy crackdown
>
> http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;7680622;fp;16;fpid;1
>

> Average Indian person just gets a copy of pirated Windows instead of a free
> and legal copy of Linux
>
> http://www.webpublishingforum.com/about965.html

Of course.  It's more useful.  :-)  At least, so go the statements of
certain Wintrolls.  Plus, Microsoft has a bigger advertising budget,
and therefore can make Windows sound like the greatest thing since
sliced bread.

(At least in theory.  Not everyone goes to the trouble of verifying it,
obviously.)

> Chinese attitude on buying Vista
>
> http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-attitude-on-buying-vista.html

US GDP/cap/year: $40K
Vista Ultimate Price: $395
Vacuum Flowers Time [*]: 20 hours [1/2 week]

China GDP/cap/year: $7.6K
Vista Ultimate Price: RMB2600
Chinese Official (?) Exchange: 7.6636 RMB / US$1
VUP: $339
Vacuum Flowers Time [*]: 89 hours [2 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour]

The author exaggerates, though not by much, and in any event,
I'm not sure what the median income is; I only have the
mean, courtesy of the CIA World Factbook.

Were Bill Gates making $12B a year (the exact amount is not
clear to me at this time, and money by the ultra rich gets
a little funny anyway), that would throw the GDP/cap/year
off by about $40.00.

> Piracy of software, and why it helps software companies
>
> http://blog.jeffkee.com/2007/02/14/piracy-of-software-and-why-it-helps-software-companies/
>

> Why Piracy Hurts Open Source
>
> http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266
>

> Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux
>
> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html
>

> How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows
>
> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tottext
>

> Why piracy kills Open Source
>
> http://youmaybeinterrupting.com/desktop.php?view&postid=12&a=apps%2FBlog%3B%3B

[*] a more prosaic description would be "number of hours
    needed to generate the price required, given the
    gross wages specified".  There are a few issues such
    as taxes that I've not taken into consideration,
    but then, neither did the author of Vacuum Flowers
    (Michael Swanwick). :-)  Of course we don't have
    salary bracelets, though some have mentioned using
    one's mobile phone as a wallet.  Vacuum Flowers also
    used minutes/day (for room rent) instead of hours,
    but that's a detail.

    The calculation is simply
    #hours = price / ((gdp/cap/year) / (50 wks/year * 40 hrs/week)).
    The more proper 52 would inflate the time slightly.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #104392:
for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);