[News] [OSS] Working on Open Source Software Better Than on Proprietary to-be-Abandonware

The unemployment myth and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to open source you can do the same thing writers can do, do
| just what you like between paychecks, prove your value in the context
| where you want to be paid. You could not do this in a closed source
| world, where you would be forbidden to see the code you had been
| working on once the pink slip hit your desk.
|
| This is as much a paradigm shift as anything else, made possible by
| open source. It means your next job will probably involve work you
| like. Any programmer who wants to go back to a proprietary world
| should think about it carefully.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1055

Related:

The Freeness of Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| You're just not free with proprietary software. (Please forgive
| the conflation of software and formats. There has been some
| movement in the direction of open formats, but I think
| proprietary software makers are always going to try to lock
| you in on the data.)
|
| (And I'm not really bitter about VB. Microsoft did me a favor
| there by helping to highlight a problem with non-free software,
| and hopefully I'll soon become as productive in Java or some
| other free language.)
`----

http://www.movingtofreedom.org/2007/04/25/the-freeness-of-free-software/

Working for The Man? Advice to a young programmer

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9593_22-6173644.html