[News] New AACS DRM is DoA, Vista Protection Cr4ck3d

Latest AACS revision defeated a week before release

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the best efforts of the Advanced Access Content System(
| AACS) Licensing Administration (AACS LA), content pirates remain
| one step ahead. A new volume key used by high-def films scheduled
| for release next week has already been cracked.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070517-latest-aacs-revision-defeated-a-week-before-release.html
http://tinyurl.com/2zl4gv

DRM is defective by design, but how can Microsoft be so incapable when it
comes to protecting an O/S they have developed for 6 years?

Pirates release fully cracked Vista install

,----[ Quote ]
| It remains to be seen if Microsoft's new anti-piracy measures,
| coupled with Windows Update, will be able to counter-measure this
| new release, even so, now the pirates have found a method to
| install pre-cracked versions on the installation media, Microsoft
| will have a significant fight on its hands to keep Vista piracy-free.

No wonder countries are now using PCs to attack one another. Microsoft and
security are an oxymoron.

Related:

First AACS Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Key Revoked

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the release, 'Please be aware that failure to apply the
| update will result in AACS-protected HD DVD and BD playback being
| disabled,' which pretty much confirms that the key revocation has
| already taken place for all newly released Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs."
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/07/1417253&from=rss

How-To: Play Blu-ray and HD DVD Movie Discs in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| At this point it's not an elegant solution, but they're getting there.
| Soon, I'm sure, it will be as easy as just dropping in the disc.
`----

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/3737/how-to_play_blu-ray

Microsoft Exec Admits That Company Benefits From Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070312/165448.shtml