Re: I can't see what is patentable in a software patent. Please help!

  • Subject: Re: I can't see what is patentable in a software patent. Please help!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 22:39:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Erik Jan ] on Thursday 17 May 2007 20:45 \__

> Reading all the discussions on software patents I start to wonder what
> is patentable in software. A computer executes algorithms, so let us
> take an algorithm as an example.
>
> I get the idea that it would be very useful to be able to calculate how
> many times one number can be subtracted from another. I give the name
> "division" to this marvelous idea. Is the idea patentable? I am afraid
> it is not. Anyone can get an idea when trying to solve a problem.
> <snip />

Caught the other day:

"A computer is a general-purpose machine. A computer's purpose is to process
an organized collection of instructions to do a specific thing. These
instructions are called "software". A computer without software is a
doorstop. Patenting a particular collection of instructions (even if they do
something really, really interesting) is, in effect, patenting the use of a
thing for its intended purpose. It would be akin to patenting "a method for
dialing my phone number" and then going after royalties every time my phone
rings. Or "a method for using an automobile to get to work" and suing
everyone in rush-hour traffic."

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/05/15/002238.shtml

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
roy      pts/3                         Wed May 16 14:23   still logged in