[News] [OSS] Book Sales Indicate OSS Growth, Microsoft Slowdown in Development World

State of the Computer Book Market, Part Four - Programming Languages Q1 07

,----[ Quote ]
| In this fourth post [one, two and three are found here] on the State
| of the Computer Book Market, I will look at programming languages and
| drill in a little on each language area.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/05/state_of_the_co_10.html

Java[script]* changes the tide.

Sun's Schwartz: Don't forget that Java is open sourced

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the conclusion of last week?s JavaOne event in San Francisco,
| I've been e-mailing back and forth with Sun CEO Jonathan Schwartz
| about Java...
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=479

Open Source Java EE Gains Momentum at AJAXWorld

,----[ Quote ]
| "The flexibility of open source technologies, along with the
| unmatched security, stability, ease-of management and scalability
| of Solaris 10 and the GlassFish application server will enable us
| to grow our business and our community to meet the growing demand,"
| said Cyril Bouteille, chief technology officer, Peerflix, Inc.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/357633_p.htm

Related:

Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Visual Basic has dropped 35% since the spring, says a
| poll of more than 430 North American developers done by research
| company Evans Data.
|
| [...]
|
| Developers have abandoned Microsoft's Visual Basic in droves
| during the last six months, and they're using Java more than any
| other development language, according to a recently published
| survey.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196600515

Study: Developers Favor Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| "Regardless of what kind of developer you are, you're still trying to
| make a living, and target the operating system that?s controlling the
| market."
|
| However, in the most recent survey, the developers' forecast of their
| target platform has changed. For the first time, these developers said
| that in the next 12 to 18 months they expect to be developing more Linux
| apps than Windows apps.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3645766

TIOBE Programming Community Index for November 2006

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index