[News] [Linux] MontaVista Claims to Have Shipped 35 Million Linux Devices

MontaVista asserts mobile Linux leadership

,----[ Quote ]
| MontaVista Software announced today that its commercial Linux OS has
| shipped in 35 million mobile devices, including 15 million last year.
| Additionally, it said it ranked fourth overall among mobile operating
| system providers in terms of revenue, according to figures compiled
| by Venture Development Corp. (VDC).

Who Leads The Real-time Linux Niche?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux was not designed to be a real-time system by any means and
| when we started MontaVista in 1999 it clearly had no real-time
| capability," Ready told internetnews.com. "Since then, there has
| been a continuous process in which MontaVista has been an active
| and continuous contributor."

Here comes the punch line that whacks Microsoft, right out of its own mouth.

Microsoft: Why Not Use Your Phone as a Cheap PC?

,----[ Quote ]
| While the PDA has existed as a sort of mini-PC for years, Microsoft
| said it would encourage phone manufacturers to formalize the
| transition of the phone to a mobile PC.
`----

http://www.physorg.com/news98525702.html

Microsoft does very badly in this market. Once again, it finds itself unable
to evolve.

Related:

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]