Re: [News] [Linux] Dell Buys Linux from Microsoft Corp.

__/ [ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 16 May 2007 19:30 \__

> Tony Smith <tony_smith100@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I've been reading a lot about the building hatred of Ubuntu. Why does
>> you/they/everyone seem to have this opinion now? Surely Ubuntu has only
>> done good for Linux in general? Is it human nature to hate a success
>> story?
>>
>> Tony(UK)
>
> In almost any human endeavor where multiple teams or versions of
> something exist, there will always be some people who 'pick sides' and
> passionately defend that choice even to the point of denigrating all
> alternatives.  It is less common within the sub-categories of Linux, but
> it does occur and is hardly surprising.
>
> As Ubuntu gains in popularity and begins to outshine other distros, it
> is only to be expected that some fans of other distros will be
> aggravated and make a bit more noise than before.  This is no big deal.
> Its all just part of the healthy rivalry that spurs on the continuing
> innovation and advancement of Linux in general.  If everyone agreed,
> where would the new ideas come from after all?

Many distros that used to 'compete' with Ubuntu are now Ubuntu-_based_.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
  1:05am  up 18 days  9:27,  6 users,  load average: 0.74, 0.98, 1.11