Re: 'It'll be ugly when half the software industry goes away' - pundit

On May 15, 11:24 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Wednesday 16 May 2007 02:12 \__
>

> > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>
> >> 'The big three all have so-called "on-demand" strategies underway for
> >> obvious reasons. New license revenue has stalled. Making matters worse,
> >> open source companies dish out new, good enough software for low-end tasks
> >> at a steady pace. This leaves services and maintenance programs as the
> >> only real ways to make new money.'
>
> >> Can you blame Microsoft for becoming a bully? They struggle for survival
> >> as they fail to evolve and address a new /type/ of competition... software
> >> that is better and cheaper, based on other (and new) economic models. It's
> >> not about people making software that is just free (of charge) and
> >> destoring the economy but about people making software that respects their
> >> freedom, rights, and liberties. The customer is in charge, not the vendor.
>
> > There's definitely a hard push away from proprietary licensing and
> > towards services right now. That represents two problems for Microsoft.
> > First their entire operation is currently dependant on the proprietary
> > licensing model, and second they've proved themselves utterly
> > incompetent in the services sector.
>
> > Oh dear.
>
> Another factor here are bodies like RIAA/MPAA. Heck, even some governments
> depend on delivering unknown software...
>
> Another factor... well, more of an intersting observation actually is that
> Microsoft is willing to throw away its reputation (as if it ever had any)
> just in order to save the boat, rather than burn them. They (fore)saw the
> rise of Web services back in 1995 (Come vs Microsoft exhibits reveal this)
> and decided to just kill Netscape and use a broken IE to make us enter a
> dark age of ol' skool Internet. That time is over. Firefox, Google, and many
> other forces reclaimed the Web and took us where we [co]sho]uld have been 10
> years ago.
>

> Mind you, I mentioned Web-based software because it's a classic example of
> ad-assisted and support-based business models.

What a load of crap that is. Why in the world would I want to put up
with "ad-assisted" software and music? Thanks but no thanks. I'd
rather pay for it once and use it add-free than have stupid adds
pestering me every time I want to use my software or listen to music.