Re: [News] [Linux] BBC Sets Focus on Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] BBC Sets Focus on Linux
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:28:49 +0100
  • Leafnode: Version 1.11.5-5u1
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wed, 16 May 2007 07:22:00 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

>> http://www.bbcworld.com/Pages/ProgrammeFeature.aspx?id=18&FeatureID=201
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| SHOWING TIMES
>>|
>>| Thursday 19:30 GMT
>>| Repeated: Friday 09:30, Saturdays 06:30, Mondays 15:30, Tuesdays 01:30
>>| (not Asia Pacific/Sth Asia) & 07:30, Wednesday 12:30 (Asia Pacific
>>only) | GMT
>>|
>>| Ubuntu is a version of the free open source operating system Linux. |
>>Developed by Mark Shuttleworth, it comes with a range of software, |
>>like office programs, email, a web browser and a media player. In | fact
>>Intel is working with the Ubuntu community to develop a version | of the
>>OS for mobile devices.
>> `----
>>

> It's a start, but I think the BBC have a way to go before the whole
> organisation gets to grips with the open-source world.  As far as I
> know, though, the BBC 3D Weather maps are rendered using a Linux
> machine.

Yes. On May 6th 2005, the BBC changed its weather forecasting over to
linux machines with MySQL Db.
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/28/2311251

Do you recall when the forecaster sometimes couldn't get the map to
update, or sometimes didn't get a weathermap at all? I kept waiting to
see if a BSOD would appear, never saw one though. Since they switched to
a linux machine two years ago, I haven't seen one hiccup.

However the BBC has been using slackware linux servers for internal DNS &
DHCP since 1999.
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1176/2/