Re: [News] [Linux] Linux Foundation Prepares to Strike Back at Microsoft

> Linux foundation prepares for Microsoft's legal action
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "If you use Windows, Solaris, [IBM's] AIX or any similar operating
> | system, you have the same patent infringement risk as using Linux.
> | Microsoft should be careful of what it starts because it doesn't
> | know where it will end," said Zemlin in an interview.
> `----
>
> http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=52030

It sounds to me the Microsoft is feeling like a cornered rat.

The funny thing is, only an idiot-CEO would not make the connection
between Microsoft patents and companies that don't provide Linux-based
solutions.

Even funnier is, why didn't Microsoft come up with this patent gambit
long ago?

Could it be that they're not really all that sure of it, and never were,
but are now feeling a real pinch of desperation?

If this tactic would work, Microsoft could have nipped Linux in the bud
years ago, but instead they started with a proxy suit through SCO.

> Microsoft Stokes Linux Fears
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Mr. Auvil, on the other hand, said Microsoft could have something
> | more ominous than litigation in mind: It might be trying to further
> | fragment the open source community, which is already split between
> | companies that want to make money off free-code-based software
> | and proponents with the philosophical belief in free software for all.
> `----
>
> http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=22264&hed=Microsoft+Stokes+Linux+Fears+

On that one:  companies have been trying that for years.  And there's
always been a bit of a fracture anyway.

By the way:

I sure am glad I don't have the X-Face support compiled into slrn
<grin>.

--
   Welcome to Patent Hell.