Re: 'It'll be ugly when half the software industry goes away' - pundit

  • Subject: Re: 'It'll be ugly when half the software industry goes away' - pundit
  • From: Larry Qualig <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 15 May 2007 15:22:58 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On May 15, 5:31 pm, John Bailo <jaba...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > They struggle for survival as
> > they fail to evolve and address a new /type/ of competition... software that
> > is better and cheaper, based on other (and new) economic models. It's not
> > about people making software that is just free (of charge) and destoring the
> > economy but about people making software that respects their freedom,
> > rights, and liberties. The customer is in charge, not the vendor.
>

> That is like struggling in quicksand.
>
> The more they do it, the faster they sink...

It is EXACTLY like struggling in quicksand. Mainly because quicksand
as portrayed on television simply doesn't exist. It's a myth, a
factual error, a delusional misconception that is often rumored but
simply not true. (Just like the dozens of "MS is collapsing posts" for
example.)

The fact is that a person could never sink in quicksand. In pure water
a human body essentially exhibits neutral buoyancy. (Most people will
just barely float.) But that's in pure water. Add a substance to the
water (salt, mud, etc) and the density of the water will increase.
That's why it's much easier for people to float/swim in the great Salt
Lake. Mixing water with sand will greatly increase the density of the
water and in quicksand a human body will pop to the surface like a
cork. A person wouldn't sink in quicksand if they deliberately tried
to. The human body would have a much lower density than quicksand and
the increased buoyancy wouldn't allow a person to sink. Period.

So yes... your analogy is 100% correct. In an imaginary world (COLA or
the movies) people sink in quicksand and MS is rapidly collapsing and
is on the verge of going out of business. In the real world however
where facts, science and physics prevail your little imaginary world
is nothing but a joke.