Re: [News] [Linux] Ease of Use in GNU/Linux: A Case Study

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Ease of Use in GNU/Linux: A Case Study
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:57:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Verily I say unto thee, that Kelsey Bjarnason spake thusly:
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 03:09:46 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The Tale of the Accidental Upgrade - An experiment with Linux goes horribly
>> right.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | That may seem a silly statement, but I have taught people to use MS
>> | Windows over the years, and to a large degree it is not that it is
>> | easy to use, it is that people are trained in using it, with all
>> | of its various user interface interactions. KDE is just as easy,
>> | if not easier, even if it is different in some ways.
>
> This, of course, is what most of the Wintrolls overlook: it's not that
> Windows is easier; it's not.  It is simply _familiar_.  Not the same thing
> at all.

There's certainly nothing easy about running Windows, except for the
ease with which it can be irrecoverably broken.

For all the anti-virus, ant-spyware, defragmentation, registry repair,
and other system repair tools I had to buy to keep Windows from
imploding, I *still* found the only method that actually worked was
periodic disk imaging. I.e. make a change, back up, make another change,
back up. It was like playing a really tough game with no cheat modes,
and you have to keep hitting the "quicksave" button before you die.

I've never seen such a fragile OS as Windows (pretty much any version).

I still remember the day I had to WipNReinstall Windows because the DVD
drive died. No that is not a lie nor an exaggeration, Windows would not
boot at all because the DVD was dead ... even after removing the drive.
It wouldn't even boot into safe mode.

So yeah, I was familiar with Windows alright ... far too familiar.

That's why I'm using Linux.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| 'Also, no one calls it PCI-X even though that's the "official "
| shortening of the much more commonly used "PCI Express".'
|    - Hardon Quirk, COLA's resident "genius".
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 19:55:31 up 28 days, 17:27,  2 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.16, 0.17