Re: [News] [Linux] Vista Out the Windows, GNU/Linux on the Desktop

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=tankerbobblog&Number=27345
> http://tinyurl.com/2ezc4a

This doesn't work for me. It doesn't matter what OS the guy has, if he
hasn't got the drivers for the hardware then it will not work. Safemode
will not necessarily bring him to a state where the OS can make proper use
of his mobo or even basic use of it, it may well be necessary for the low
level drivers to preset some aspects of the mobo even if no further drvers
are used in safemode.

He should have made sure to have the drivers ready, MS has a place in the
install for loading third party drivers just as Linux does.

So in this little test he had the drivers with his Linux but not with his MS
Win, simple as that and MS can't really be blamed for the dumbness of the
writer. Linux has always been quicker with mobos than MS Win has, very
often a new 'super-mobo' just had the basic needed so that MS could treat
it like any other mobo. There isn't strictly anything wrong in that, but
Linux was always first with the more advanced features.

This sort of review is to me on a par with those who write a Linux distro
review ten milli seconds after installing it. It has no meaning, take notes
on the install by all means, then use the system exclusively for a week or
so, then write your reviews but making it clear how you used the system.  A
review by someone who's main use is the word processor is of little value
to those who's main use is multi-media, or graphics, or development.
Prefereably do one thing in each review that you would not normally do, to
see if the distro makes it easy for you persue new goals.

It would be of much more value for the regular users in here to review the
distro/s that they use on a daily basis and hopefully have used for quite
some time. They by now have all the apps they want onboard, have found
niggles, solved some get around others, have their own regularly used
scripts for things that they like to do, maybe have reduced clutter by
reducing menus and desk icons to those that they actually use. I bet your
left sock that the vast majority of reviews can be boiled down to 'Yes I
use {your distro} daily but I don't tend to think about the OS, I just get
on with the things I like to do, the OS doesn't try to stop, it just lets
me get on with it', and that is exactly how it should be, other than a bit
of basic maintenance you should never need to go under the bonnet, unless
that happens to be where your interest lies.

The next review I see that goes something like 'I just finished installing
Linux and its perfect....', I will personally slap their face off, shave
off their hair and then be generally horrible to them.