Re: [News] [Linux] Microsoft Says It Won't Sue, Wants More Novell-like Deals

__/ [ Linonut ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 12:49 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
>> | mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831
>
>    Microsoft currently collects royalties from some companies that use
>    Linux in their computing environments, Gutierrez said. However, he
>    declined to indicate the number, the dollar amount Microsoft receives
>    from those payments, or identify any of the companies by name.
>
>    Gutierrez also said Microsoft is not likely to publicly list which
>    specific patents it believes are infringed upon by open source
>    software. "We're not going to have a discussion publicly with that
>    level of detail," he said.
>
>    Microsoft has made the patents in question known to corporate Linux
>    users and distributors, Gutierrez said.
>
> Microsoft wants to make sure that Linux is expensive to companies.
>
> However, if Vista is any guide (and I think it is), the quality of their
> operating systems may end up making Linux a compelling alternative
> nonetheless, unless Microsoft can clean up its shop.

I guess Jeremy Allison was right. He said this months ago.

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/05/15/linux-money-for-ms/

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
  1:20pm  up 16 days 21:42,  5 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.68, 0.80