Re: [News] [Linux] Linus Torvalds Boasts About Next Linux Kernel, Intel Gives PowerTOP Utility

After takin' a swig o' grog, [H]omer belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>
>>> Just tried it:
>>>
>>> "No detailed statistics available; please enable the CONFIG_TIMER_STATS
>>> kernel option"
>>>
>>> Ah well, I'll just wait for the new kernel.
>>
>> Why don't you just tweak your current kernel?
>
> kernel-2.6.20-1.2948.fc6-x86_64 doesn't have a CONFIG_TIMER_STATS
> option. I believe you need 2.6.21 or greater.

Ah so!

> The RH/FC team normally implement kernel updates fairly quickly (primary
> contributors) so I'm happy to wait for the pre-built kernel in the repo.
> I could (and have in the past) download the vanilla kernel, but if I did
> that for every new feature (as and when it became available) I'd be
> spending my whole life just compiling kernels. These days, I just do
> that once per downstream release (from src.rpm).

It's fun, isn't it!

--
   "When we do a new version we put in lots of new things that people (ask) for.
   And so, in no sense, is stability a reason to move to a new version. It's