Re: [News] [Linux] Microsoft Attacked Due to GPLv3 Fear, MS Could Hurt US Economy

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Microsoft Attacked Due to GPLv3 Fear, MS Could Hurt US Economy
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 23:03:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> GPLv3 the impetus for Microsoft?s latest Linux attack campaign
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | What's got Microsoft so spoooked? As the Fortune article noted, the GPL
> | v3's provisions regarding the Microsoft-Novell deal suggest that
> | Microsoft itself could be considered a "Linux distributor," and thus
> | beholden to the GPL v3 terms.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=437
>
> 235 Microsoft patents vs. The World
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Should Microsoft really start to sue companies, then maybe the United
> | States will be avoided as a market by an increasing number of
> | companies, headquarters of American companies (except for Novell)
> | will be moved outside the U.S., and Microsoft will be responsible
> | for the worst recession in the history of the United States!
> `----
>
> http://beranger.org/index.php?2007/05/14/08/58/11-235-microsoft-patents-vs-the-wor&page=diary

It's a lose-lose situation for MS.

I really can't understand why they pursue this M.O. at all, it's just
not to their advantage.

Now certainly Microsoft's business started with a lie (to IBM no less),
and they have continued in that reprehensible vein for years; "harvest"
but don't innovate, lock-in rather than entice, negative FUD rather than
positive (and truthful) PR, disable rather than enable, etc.; but with
the huge financial resources that they've subsequently amassed, they
really could afford to produce some genuinely excellent products,
instead of wasting their time with this nonsense ... so where are they?

It's beyond belief. Are they being deliberately obtuse?

Think about what you or I could accomplish with that kind of money.

Ruling the world with an iron fist is not an accomplishment, it's just
tyranny, and ultimately benefits no one but the tyrants, until they're
inevitably overthrown by rebellion.

And making some puerile gesture of atonement by throwing money at the
poor (whilst still supporting the companies which exacerbate that
poverty) is not magically going to undo their evil deeds. Better by far
to clean up the mess they caused in the first place, and fix that which
*they* broke, by going Open Source and adopting Open Standards, instead
of fighting it.

They could *easily* do it; it would be *nothing* to them, but the fact
that they continue to doggedly pursue this malicious agenda suggests
that somebody at the top is making poorly motivated decisions, and that
man will ultimately be responsible for destroying the company he
purports to "love" so much; it's ironic justice.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| 'Also, no one calls it PCI-X even though that's the "official "
| shortening of the much more commonly used "PCI Express".'
|    - Hardon Quirk, COLA's resident "genius".
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 23:01:37 up 27 days, 20:33,  1 user,  load average: 0.68, 0.35, 0.21