[News] Latest iTunes DRM Cracked (Again)

Thread here:

http://www.hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1553

Check this hilarious one out:

Atlanta Blue Sky is threatening me with lawsuit!

,----[ Quote ]
| They don't know that Windows Media Player shows the stream's URL with
| File -> Properties, so they threatened me with an Atlanta court for
| one of my previous posts that contained four (4) public URLs of their
| radio stream(s)!
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?2007/05/14/12/47/56-atlanta-blue-sky-is-threatening-&page=diary

Related:

http://www.cafepress.com/nonlogic.100812817

Jobs gains support from Yahoo, Monster on DRM issue

,----[ Quote ]
| "I've long advocated removing DRM on music because there is already a
| lot of music available without DRM, and it just makes things
| complicated for the user," Dave Goldberg, head of Yahoo Music,
| told the Silicon Valley Watcher.
|
| [...]
|
| "Monster Cable shares Mr. Jobs' vision of breaking constraints for
| legal music downloads," said Lee. "We've always believed in the
| power of music. So much so, we launched Monster Music to introduce
| high definition surround to the world without restrictions."
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2490

Yahoo Music, SanDisk chiefs urge labels to 'ditch DRM'

,----[ Quote ]
| A senior Yahoo chief has spoken out in favour of Apple CEO Steve
| Jobs' call for major labels to abandon digital rights technology (DRM).
|
| Dave Goldberg, head of Yahoo Music, says that tracks sold through
| his service in MP3 format sell much faster than rights-protected tunes.
`----

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17184

The slow death of DRM

,----[ Headings ]
| * A disaster of historical proportions
| * Consumer litigation against DRM
| * Digital growth is flagging
| * Pressure to dump DRM
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/09/steve_gordon_drm/

Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

,----[ Quote ]
| Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
| Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
| career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
| Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
| secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

EMI mulls sales of unprotected songs

,----[ Quote ]
| Music label EMI Group is in talks to release a large portion of
| its music catalog for Web sales without technological protections
| against piracy that are included in most music bought over the
| Internet now, sources said Thursday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6157805.html

Microsoft: We Like DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
| tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
| in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
| are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zune-drm-itunes-tech-media-cx_df_0208bach.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y

Music industry set to abandon DRM shocka

,----[ Quote ]
| Surprise, surprise, surprise. After all the lawsuits we've been
| reporting about, all the fiasco's we've been through (Microsoft
| incompatible trio MSN-Plays For Sure-Zune), and now, it seems
| that music industry executives are finally thinking with their
| senses and not with their ill-fated techno-paranoid logic.

Holland Considers Banning DRM, Legalizing Filesharing

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year the Dutch tried to tax all MP3 players, but that proposal
| didn't make it into law. But not to worry, they have other brilliant
| ideas. Earlier this week, Dutch politicians suggested that it might
| be a good idea to tax Internet traffic, and use this money to
| compensate the music industry. This, under the condition that
| DRM is abandoned, and people can't be charged for downloads. Say
| what?
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/holland-considers-banning-drm-legalizing-filesharing/

Apple DRM illegal in Norway: Ombudsman

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's digital rights management lock on its iPod device and iTunes
| software is illegal, the Consumer Ombudsman in Norway has ruled. The
| blow follows the news that Germany and France are joining Norway's
| action against Apple.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/apple_drm_illegal_in_norway/

Record labels rethink digital rights management at Midem

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that even digital music revenue growth is faltering amid
| rampant file-sharing by consumers, the major record labels are
| closer than ever to releasing music on the Internet with no
| copying restrictions -- a step they once vowed never
| to take.
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/21/yourmoney/music.php

VirginMega adopts DRM-free MP3 on its music store

,----[ Quote ]
| VirginMega.fr, by Lagardere, is adding more than 200,000 tracks
| available in the MP3 256k format. So far, the store only offered
| Microsoft's PlayForSure WMA 192k tracks, and only made a few
| tracks available as an experiment in a similar way as Yahoo did.
| However, France is the first country where a full-DRM store adopts
| MP3 on a large scale.
`----

http://www.djing.com/news/1926/virginmega-adopts-drm-free-mp3-on-its-music-store/

EMI abandons CD DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| EMI has announced that it will no longer infect its CDs with DRM. I
| remember just a few years ago when an EMI customer-service rep sent
| an email to an irate customer promising that every CD in Europe would
| have DRM within a decade.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/08/emi_abandons_cd_drm.html

Amazon Soon Opening DRM-free MP3 Store

,----[ Quote ]
| Looks like rumors are afloat that Amazon is planning on a late
| first quarter 2007 launch of a new music download store. In an
| already crowded music download market, Amazon hopes to differentiate
| itself in two major ways...
`----

http://www.computers.net/2006/12/amazon_soon_ope.html

Music to be offered in MP3 file format

,----[ Quote ]
| After years of selling online music digitally wrapped with copy
| and playback restrictions designed to hinder piracy, major music
| labels are beginning to make some songs available in the
| unrestricted MP3 file format.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/16179277.htm

Microsoft launches 'PlayReady' DRM system

,----[ Quote ]
| Although digital rights management (DRM) is popular with content
| creators, it has attracted criticism. Sony was widely attacked after
| using a rootkit-like application to hide content protection on some
| music CDs, and earlier this month Apple CEO Steve Jobs called on
| the music industry to drop its use of DRM.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-6158553.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Vista Month: Welcome To The DRM?

,----[ Quote ]