[News] [OSS] The Importance of Linux (OLPC?) and FLOSS in Education

Education, education, education

,----[ Quote ]
| Allow me initially to summarise what Richard Stallman said in his essay:
| free software should be used exclusively in schools because:
|
|     * It can save schools money.
|     * Schools should promote ways of living that benefit society
|       as a whole; and free software, like recycling, does this.
|     * It promotes the idea that learning is not wrong, as
|       proprietary software does when students reach an age when they
|       start to ask "how does this work?"
|     * A school's primary job is to teach children to be good
|       neighbours and citizens; free software does this by allowing
|       people to share, learn, and help each other.

`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/education_education_education

Related:

Reason Why Schools Should Adopt Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Can I Import My Previous Work Into Linux? Consider this: you have
| document after document tied up into formats, such as Outlook, MS
| Publisher and so on. Now, with Outlook, I "believe" the data can bee
| xported without too much trouble. But last time I checked, your
| Publisher files were stuck as is, period. So it's fair to say
| that challenges like this can indeed, seem like a deal breaker
| for some users. I mean come on, this is  not a solution and the
| fact that Publisher is so commonly used in the Windows world is
| certainly not helping anyone. This issue would seem trivial to
| most of us, but to those who just installed Linux, it can prove
| to be frustrating.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7802

Stretching the Education Dollar With Linux

,----[ Quote ]