Re: [News] Novell Gets Punished for Sleeping with Microsoft? (Layoffs in Europe)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Related:
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Do I still feel 'betrayed' by Novell? Maybe betrayed is too bombastic a
> | word, but I certainly don't feel comfortable using Novell. I've got a
> | constant eye on Novell and its behavior as well as the advances of
> | other distributions. I have no great love for current Novell and I
> | will certainly try this again when the next releases of Fedora and
> | Ubuntu hit the streets. Microsoft is too close to Novell and I don't
> | trust Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/05/suse-is-back.html

I understand this bloggers point. There is a major problem with the MS Novel
deal that has little to do with the deal itself.

It is simply that for business the SLES is a god send, it is easy, stable,
feature rich. Installing a server is never a difficult job but it is rarely
enjoyable, once you have  done a fair few that is.

SLES is an amazing product.

So if you do feel a bit nervous of what Novell has done then what do you do,
go with the less enjoyable? Yes I know some will have put their hands up at
that straight away. But hold on a minute, isn't the important part of this
that it is Linux that leads the field, doesn't matter at all what the Cheif
execs and things get up to, I don't give a diddly squat if MS make Mr
Novell mega rich, that money was never coming my way anyway, I don't care
who gets it. All that really matters is that *I* have servers that are no
trouble to me, they do what I tell them to do, while at the same time
keeping my interest up by giving me something to play with.

Yes I could get that with Debian or Redhat, but they are not the same you
know. I once would have said 'A server is a server and it dosn't matter
which distro sticker you put on the front of the machine', they are times I
had those stickers four or five deep. But there is a difference really, it
doesn't make any difference at all to my users, I suspect that many of them
have no idea what OS is on their servers, but the difference in servers is
important to me as IT manager.

SLES gives me what I want, Redhat and Debian do not. I will not be swayed on
my choice of server OS by polytics. I nearly was, I held off on some
servers when the Novell MS deal came up while I waited to see what
happened. But in the end I knew I wanted SLES on those machines, I knew why
I wanted SLES and the polytics was a nuisance that I decided I would ignore
because in the end it is *me* who has to sit in front of those servers and
I want to enjoy my work as best I can. After this length of time in the job
I need every ounce of encouragement I can find.