Re: [News] [OSS] Journalists Choose Free Open Source Software

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 14 May 2007 06:32 \__

>> Newspapers use open-source software to engage readers online
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "We had been looking for an open-source solution for a while," Mr
>> | Thyssen told Journalism.co.uk. "The alternative was a commercial
>> | solution - our print edition is made with SaxoPress and
>> | QuarkXPress - but Saxo's web solution is not only expensive, it
>> | also has no blogging tools, no tools to work with a community of
>> | readers. We wanted more than that.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.journalism.co.uk/news/story3307.shtml
>
> Yup, Drupal rocks.

I remember a certain coversation that I had with a COLA WinTroll last year
(yes, I wasn't good with filters at the time). I think it was Erik. Some of
them believe that a team of half a dozen cubicle code monkeys can actually
beat an international team of users and developers that stand behind
millions of Web sites. Having been involved with WordPress for several
years, I'll admit that while I feel bad for those whose proprietary softare
becomes obsolete, I am happy to see that more people are able to start Web
sites and communicate with the world for (virtually) free.

It's that same old debate about free access to information (public libabries
and all that malarkey). When the greedy ones try to deprive the little guy
from acquiring knowledge or gaining reach (think about lobbying to kill
Internet radio), then we're in trouble. They beg for rebellion. Microsoft's
latest patent trolling is a perfect example as well. How /dare/ people code
for their friends' benefit and make it freely available?

--
                ~~ Best regards

Apprentice - fancy word for "slave"
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S