Re: [News] Companies Look Beyond DRM, Explore Gentler Altenatives to Copyright and Theft Control

  • Subject: Re: [News] Companies Look Beyond DRM, Explore Gentler Altenatives to Copyright and Theft Control
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 23:50:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> New MySpace copyright tech turns heads, raises brows
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "We have created this new feature to solve a problem that has long
> | frustrated copyright holders and presented technical challenges to
> | service providers," said Michael Angus...
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/New+MySpace+copyright+tech+turns+heads%2C+raises+brows/2100-1030_3-6183162.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
> http://tinyurl.com/32vkjh

It took me 3 seconds to "hack" Audible Magic's fingerprint technology.

Just post the video upside down.

A fingerprint analysis will calculate that there are too many different
vectors for it to be the same material, but all the viewers have to do
is turn their monitors upside down ... and voilà (or download the clip
and reverse the process, or just play it with "mplayer -vf flip").

The question is, did Audible Magic think of that one already? Is it
"orientation-insensitive"?

Doing something similar with the audio would be more of a challenge.
Certainly for audio-only content it could just be reversed, but for
audio-video it would require demuxing first, which would be a pain (for
the viewer) but still doable.

And no I'm not advocating copyright infringement; just common sense,
fair use, and free speech.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| 'Also, no one calls it PCI-X even though that's the "official "
| shortening of the much more commonly used "PCI Express".'
|    - Hardon Quirk, COLA's resident genius.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 23:47:51 up 25 days, 21:20,  0 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.06