Re: use Windows get accused of paedophelia ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Saturday 12 May 2007 14:23 \__

> 'The high-profile crackdown on internet child porn has claimed lives
> and destroyed reputations. But fresh evidence says the police got it
> wrong, says Duncan Campbell'
>
> 'In all, 7,272 British residents were on its target lists, more than
> 2,000 of whom have never been investigated; and 39 men have killed
> themselves under the pressure of the investigations'
>
> http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,2059832,00.html

Recent:

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3134187&page=1

   'Often, just clicking on a Web site can initiate a
   download of unwanted material, particularly if the
   user has been lured to that site through a pop-up ad or
   "blot."

   Beaulier says the danger of getting unintended material
   "becomes more pronounced when computer users interact
   with other online users through peer-to-peer programs,
   or by downloading documents from newsgroups or chat
   rooms." The reason is that files on these sources
   appear only as a link with a name that may or may not
   reveal its content. But the user has to download the
   file before he can see what's in it.'

There was also the case with the teacher and the pornographic popups that
resulted from malware.

When the PC is not controlled by its user, the user can be held liable for
someone else's actions.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
Tasks: 115 total,   1 running, 112 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie