[News] [Rival] Microsoft Willing to Buy Its Way Back Into Market

Microsoft CEO says large deals "conceivable"

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. sees mergers as a way to fill gaps or enter new
| markets, mostly via small deals, but larger deals are also
| "conceivable," Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said on Wednesday.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070509/microsoft_mergers_1.html?.v=2

If you can't beat them, buy them. Or pay (bribe?) them to punish the rivals
(e.g. Novell, Corel). Oracle does this as well. On the other hand:

Microsoft opts to build, not buy, business software

,----[ Quote ]
| "I've never been opposed to the idea of looking at players in the
| industry. We've looked, to be quite honest," Jeff Raikes, president
| of Microsoft's business division, said in an interview. "We just
| thought organic development would get us to the real solution faster."
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070510:MTFH25913_2007-05-10_02-02-56_N09335242&type=comktNews&rpc=44

And look what happens...

| Asked about these problems, Arno Edelmann, Microsoft's European business
| security product manager, told ZDNet UK on Thursday that the code itself
| has pieces missing.
| "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products. It's not a
| bad product, but bits and pieces are missing," said Edelmann.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39286351,00.htm

Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

,----[ Quote ]