[News]The World Speaks About (and Against) Microsoft Proprietary Formats (in 'Standard' Gown)

Canada requests OOXML comments

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope other countries follow Canada?s example. Open means transparent.
| You should know who is making this standards decision (as well as
| future ones) in your country. That means you should know how the
| decisions are made, when they are made, and who is making them.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1640

The UK requests OOXML comments

,----[ Quote ]
| This is especially true because of the gargantuan nature of this
| particular "vendor product data specification in standards disguise"
| (my words).
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1642

US OOXML Discussion Now Public

,----[ Quote ]
| I just heard that INCITS V1, the group making the recommendation
| to ANSI on whether the US should support Microsoft's proprietary
| OOXML format in being fast-tracked to ISO, is considering creating
| a public archive of its conversations on the subject.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/us_ooxml_discussion_now_public

Related:

Overwhelming opposition to adoption of OOXML as standard, Canada wants ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| The Standards Council of Canada is seeking comments on a proposal to
| adopt Office Open XML (Open XML) as an international standard. So far
| there are over 130 comments to this proposal and the message is clear.
| People don't want OOXML. They want a truly open standard that isn't
| controlled by only one company. People want OpenDocument Format.
`----

http://digg.com/tech_news/Overwhelming_opposition_to_adoption_of_OOXML_as_standard_Canada_wants_ODF
http://forums.scc.ca/forums/scc/dispatch.cgi/public/docProfile/100009/d20070501143554/No/t100009.htm

In case you were wondering how big 6000 pages is: OpenXML/OOXML/whatever

,----[ Quote ]
| Take a look at this photo from an OOXML workshop. (Read the blog entry
| too.) [Photo of a pile of 6,000+ pages]
|
| I don't know what your job is, but imagine your boss came to you and
| said "read this, fully understand it, implement it perfectly, and make
| sure that it fully interoperates with the software being produced by
| anyone else doing the same." Translate this statement to your own job
| and stare again at that photo. What do you conclude?
|
|     * You'll have lifetime employment trying to implement the spec.
|     * Your boss comes from another wacko parallel universe.
|     * This is a joke if not a travesty.
|     * Your job evaluation will not be very good next year.
|     * There is no way you can fully do the job without
|       reimplementing significant portions of Microsoft's product
|       portfolio and therefore you will run into intellectual
|       property problems. (Don?t think that's a problem?)
|     * Microsoft is trying to change the rules on what is a standard
|       and who can implement it.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1634

Packing The Court At The ISO?

,----[ Quote ]
|      ...P member countries ('participating member' countries) sending
|     representatives, and I am interested to note the majority of
|     their representatives are, as individuals, also Microsoft employees.
|
| [...]
|
| How can they not see that OOXML (ECMA 376) is unwanted by anyone outside of
| Microsoft? How about it Brian Jones? Are you really so desperate that you
| have to resort to that?
`----

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/packing-the-court-at-the-iso/

Q&A: Former Mass. CIO feels 'bittersweet pride' after battles with Microsoft,
legislature

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012760&source=rss_news50

,----[ Quote ]
|    Quinn:  Almost to a person, to anybody involved or who knows about
|    the ODF issue, they attributed the story to Microsoft, right, wrong
|    or otherwise. Senator Pacheco may be a bully but I do not believe he
|    is disingenious and would stoop to such a tactic. Senator Pacheco and
|    Secretary Galvin's office remain very heavily influenced by the
|    Microsoft money and its lobbyist machine, as witnessed by their
|    playbook and words, in my opinion.

MA Governor-Elect Names MS Anti-ODF Lobbyist to Technology Advisory Group

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183

The Sorry State of Massachusetts

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2006111603531029

Microsoft offers schools in Mass. free software [to stop ODF adoption]

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6090196.html?part=rss&tag=6090196&subj=news

Microsoft plays Massachusetts Senate card

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32515

Microsoft playing three card monte with XML conversion

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=959