Re: [News] [Rival] ComputerWorld Highlights Microsoft's Vista Bluff and Information Manipulation

> Nine burning questions about how Vista is really doing
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Instead, there's so much spin   -- from Microsoft,  from rivals such
> | as Apple Inc.,  from market analysts pushing research and more research
> | -- it would even leave Sasha Cohen dizzy. Here's our attempt to unravel
> | this puzzle-shrinkwrapped-in-a-mystery.
> `----
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9021838
> http://tinyurl.com/2u6gzq
>
> Endless marketing lies, echoed by the WinTrolls.

More:

   Of the six million PCs sold to large U.S. enterprises in the first
   quarter, only a million came with Vista, says IDC's Daoud. And a
   huge percentage of those million PCs were immediately wiped clean of
   Vista and re-installed with XP. The pricey contracts these customers
   hold with Microsoft allow them to re-install Vista later, when they
   are ready to upgrade.

   . . .

   ...the total number of customers that actually redeemed the upgrade
   coupons was small.

   ...On the other hand, as observers have pointed out, Vista should be
   shipping faster than XP. The PC market is about 72% larger than
   during XP's launch (58.9 million PCs shipped worldwide in Q1
   2007, versus 34.2 million PCs shipped in Q4 2001).

   ..."Mac has almost doubled," a WebSideStory analyst told
   Computerworld in early May, "so you know they're selling a butt
   load."

   Linux is also gaining mindshare on the desktop, after Novell's
   high-profile launch of Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) last
   year. And Dell Inc. has recently started to sell Ubuntu Linux PCs. At
   the same time, Linux's worldwide share of installed PCs remains
   about 2%, with IDC's Al Gillen expecting it to reach just 2.8%
   by 2009.

--
"It turns out Luddites don't know how to use software properly,
   so you should look into that." -- Bill Gates, FOCUS interview