[News] [Linux] Linux Users Groups Formed in Bahrain, Macedonia Looks at Linux Laptops

Bahrain LUG Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce the first meeting of the Bahrain Linux User
| Group!
`----

http://mahmood.tv/2007/05/30/bahrain-lug-announced/

One Laptop Per Macedonian Child

,----[ Quote ]
| I am Novica Nakov of Free Software Macedonia and the Macedonian
| Government announced a project about computers in education in
| December 2006. The ambitious project "Computer for every student"
| is now under way.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/countries/one_laptop_per_macedonian_child.html

Wintel is already on the scene, prepared to "dump", sabotage, and confuse.

Related:

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

Intel is "predatory", Pegasus claims

,----[ Quote ]
| Said Jack Berlin, who rides Pegasus as its CEO: "I was disappointed
| to learn Intel was intentionally using Pegasus Imaging's registered
| mark to promote its own image compression technology." He said the
| advert indicated Intel had bought Pegasus Imaging.

Intel Settles Legal Dispute in China

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Merrill: Intel's More Interested In Crushing AMD Than Improving Margins

,----[ Quote ]
| They think that Intel is a lot more interested in reducing AMD to
| its former status than in showing much gross margin improvementt
| his year.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070309/29149_id.html?.v=1

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Happy-with-the-Evolution-of-Windows-Vista-Piracy-50577.shtml