Re: [News] [Linux] Palm's Muchly-anticipated Gizmo Runs GNU/Linux Indeed

On Wed, 30 May 2007 22:12:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Palm's new gizmo is...
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The device, at about $500, is priced closely to low-end laptops.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| # 5 hours of workable battery life, and the charger is cell phone-size,
>|   not a giant laptop brick.
>| # Weighs under 2.5 pounds, and is less than an inch thick.
>| # No touch pad -- uses a pointer like a Thinkpad.
>| # It runs Linux.
>| # All solid-state, of course, no hard disk.
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9723725-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

I had one of those 8 years ago, it was called an IBM Workpad z50, though it
ran Windows CE (and went 12+ hours on a charge).  Some revolutionary
device.

People complained about the Origami having a short battery life, and this
isn't much better, and it's not anywhere near as functional.  No tablet, no
hard disk (though some might consider that a benefit), doesn't look like
there's sound (no mp3's or games)...

I'll still take an Origami over this (even with Linux on it).  you can do a
lot more with the origami, especially with a fold-up bluetooth keyboard and
mouse.