Re: [News] [OSS] New Legislation in Germany Restricts Hacking, But Raises Questions

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 29 May 2007 08:01 \__

>> Germany passes antihacking law
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Other punishable cybercrimes include DOS (denial-of-service) attacks
>>| and computer sabotage attacks on individuals, which would extend the
>>| existing law that limited sabotage to businesses and public authorities.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| Chaos Computer Club also warns that the law could make it much easier
>>| for the German government to allow law enforcement officials to
>>| install spyware on computers of suspected criminals without their
>>| knowledge. The club is concerned about the ability of consumers
>>| and businesses to protect their systems from government spyware
>>| without support from the hacker community.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=690399781&rid=-50
>>
>> Attempting to stop Windows zombies while at the same time facilitating
>> Windows back doors.
>
> This is the major problem you get when governments try to legislate on
> people's behaviour.  It would be better if people weren't doing DOS
> attacks in the first place, but there's too much money to be made from
> ransom for that to stop, I suspect.

They should pass other laws. Just as the food administration (and other
similar bodies) don't permit the use, sale, or marketing of unsafe
merchandise, similar tests should be applied to software. If it's not
hardened enough and if it's easy to capture and then be used as a weapon,
then it should be verboten. Ja!

Some problems are there to be seen on the surface, so no exhaustive tests are
needed to should that it's just not rigid enough. Consider these:

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows

The feds weigh in on Windows security
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6172158.html

Windows animated cursor flaw--150 sites infected
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6172440.html

Microsoft Patches Not One, But Three Vista Holes
http://itsvista.com/2007/04/microsoft-patches-not-one-but-three-vista-holes/

Insecure when run on Vista, thanks to symbolic links
http://www.cerias.purdue.edu/weblogs/pmeunier/general/post-85/

Experts say Microsoft should consider change in patching process
http://www.scmagazine.com/us/news/article/649115/experts-say-microsoft-consider-change-patching-process/
http://tinyurl.com/2felu2

6 Patches on Critical Update for Windows XP: KB925902
http://donalyza.wordpress.com/2007/04/04/6-patches-for-critical-update-for-windows-xp-kb925902/
http://tinyurl.com/yt7y95

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
  9:00am  up 30 days 17:22,  8 users,  load average: 1.97, 1.63, 0.84