Re: Intel Viiv Technology

__/ [ siju ] on Sunday 27 May 2007 08:17 \__

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF06b/1090261-1111625-1116609-1116609-1116609-13072180-80192519.html

> does this mean that if i run a linux  distribution on this machine it
> won't have the same effect(Viiv experience) as running a windows O.S

I am not too sure (maybe someone else can help here?), but in principle,
there's nothing in terms of performance which puts Linux behind. At the low
level, Linux can handle multi-core architectures and handle them well. Even
Wi-Fi is well supported nowadays, provided you choose the right
component/motherboard (be sure to check on the Web, or try a Live CD on it
at the shop). At a higher level, Linux exploits the processor/resources
better (memory footprint, customisability, etc), which explains why so many
servers run Linux, despite endless and pricey propaganda against it.

You worries and hesitance don't seem justified, but given the wide variety of
computers out there, you won't struggle to find something which satisfies
your needs. Many boxes come with Linux preinstalled, so you might want to
watch out for these.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/9                         Sun May 27 06:19   still logged in