Re: Suspend to RAM and Disk in Linux Discussed

  • Subject: Re: Suspend to RAM and Disk in Linux Discussed
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 10:23:32 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:y4XWznSzcAm1Wisgpz/JssfquDw=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
peterwn <peterwn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On May 27, 4:40 pm, Tom Shelton <tom_shel...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On May 26, 9:00 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Linux: Rethinking Suspend and Resume
>>
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > `----
>>
>> >http://kerneltrap.org/node/8267
>>
>> > Why is Linus always so furious?
>>
>> He's a developer...  Developers tend to be short tempered and
>> crotchety.  Just ask my family :)
>>
> He is where he is because he has sound judgement, reasonable people
> skills and is pragmatic regarding operating systems.  As long as he
> retains these characteristics hewill stay on top, if he loses his
> touch or if a better person comes along, the kernel will 'fork'
> leaving him on the sideline.  There is no sign of this yet.
>
> This is well illustrated by the fact that the Hurd, where the

(Herd? Or is Hurd a new "in" word?)

> philosophy places less emphasis on pragmatism (ie the micro kernel
> concept) is merely moving 'sideways' despite the support of its
> proponents.
>
> He has obviously sensed that things here were starting to go down a
> slippery path to trouble and wondered why others did not see it
> coming.

Linux is wrong plenty of times. Genius yes. Egomaniac? Sure and why not?
He knows his stuff. When he makes noise more often than not its his way
of thinking. I think the aggression gets his thought processes boosted.

Read the whole thread.

,----
| > I really think suspend-to-disk is just a total waste of my time.
|
| Ah. That's because you're using [u]swsusp. If you used Suspend2, your
| git trees would be in the cache, your system wouldn't be slow and you'd
| still be back up in that half a minute or so - probably less time. Give
| it a try for a week, and then go back to rebooting. After that, tell me
| rebooting is better and I've wasted the last 5 or 6 years improving the
| code.
|
| Regards,
|
| Nigel

What part of "I don't know how may there will be the first weeks" was so
unclear and needs explanation? : Peter KÃhlmann, COLA.